Re: assumptions about schools

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 19:05:47 -0800

At 11:57 AM 11/4/97, Eugene Matusov wrote:
>Hi Diane and everybody--

<snip>

>Bearing in mind Bakhtin, I think it is possible to reveal and change our
>assumptions if we start making efforts to look into eyes of others (who are
>not "us") to learn about ourselves. As a teacher, I'm not a student, I'm
>looking in eyes of my students and see their suffering that I'm causing.
>That scares me to death and I want to change.
>
>Eugene

the other side here is that yr students see yr eyes too... and to "take"
responsibility
for their suffering, that's a lot to carry Eugene. I'm sure your compassion
does not go unnoticed, nor unappreciated.

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca