Re: boundary object

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:49:35 +0100

At 09.21 -0800 97-10-29, Honorine Nocon wrote:
>I do have a related question. In the case of the doctor's visit
>(or the museum) is the physical space, i.e., clinic, hospital, also
>a mediateing artifact or tool? It would seem so, as would a
>classroom be an artifact used in the activity of enculturating the
>young.

Yes, I think much of our recent discussions about architectural
spaces&places, if phrased in terms of an activity system analysis would
have the location as one of the mediating artifacts. It may often not be
foregrounded in analysis, but if we *do* take a look at the physical
setting it can be seen as inscribed with some of the community rules as
well as with community division-of-labour... this would not be
deterministic (I have listened to the arguments) but would be submitted to
historical change. And, as an artifact with a comparatively long timespan
of use, it will accumulate a sedimentation of its uses.

Hmm... another variation of my archaeological rondo.

Eva