teachers' memories

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:42:03 -0800

"...[I]f we are the understand what is happening... we need to stand back,
not trust the obviousness of the taken-for-granted and yet remember to look
at what it means to be a teacher, a pupil, a parent, a child. We look at
ourselves. We have tools. The great and injurious act of forgetting which
happens in institutions of teacher education means that students come,
teachers come, as I once came, and forget, obliterate, imagine they know
nothing. The insertion of the new practice of psychology, or any of the
other disciplines, uses that forgetting. Nevertheless, it also tells us
what it is like to be a pupil again. And we can use that knowledge too.
But, of course, that is to explode the boundaries between theory and
practice."
(Valerie Walkerdine, 1991, _School Girl Fictions_; p. 17)

diane, using a quote to speak for me, once again. :-)

At 11:38 PM 10/27/97, Valued Customer wrote:
>I'm not suprised! Many of the secondary school teachers in Lubbock
>Texas are graduates of Texas Tech University, yet my colleague showed me
>a flier printed by a fourth grade teacher which nearly drove me mad.
>The grammar was so poor that it took me three readings and a red pen to
>understand the first sentence! I laughed, but what else could I do? Who
>will stand up and admit that this teacher was once a student of
>his/hers?
>

>Allison Boroda
>Department of Human Development & Family Studies
>Texas Tech University
>home e-mail: sense who-is-at swbell.net
>Tech e-mail: aboroda who-is-at ttacs.ttu.edu
>phone: (806) 762-8145

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca