Re: "Stephen Eric Van Hoose" <vanhos who-is-at rpi.edu>

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:50:43 +0200

At 17.01 -0400 97-10-23, Stephen Eric Van Hoose wrote:
>As an architecture student, my upcoming thesis is a design project. A large
>part of the preliminary work is in research to prepare and gather together
>some of my ideas. Unfortunately, I do not have a concrete handle on what my
>thesis is to be. Currently, my thesis is simply "Architecture and Education."

How interesting, Stephen!

Although when you ask about what road American Education is travelling
down, I cannot help but wonder: is there only ONE American Education. I
thought that this might just barely be true about Swedish Education: a
small country with a fairly homogeneous tradition (that was centrally
governed for a very long time). And even so what Swedish education is
today, not least in terms of the architecture of its settings, bears
witness to past conflicts between traditionalism and progressivism, shows
the layered traces of changes in municipal economy, and is torn by social
divisions. Something of the current outlook on education is cemented into a
building when it is first erected, but soon enough spaces will be adapted
to new functions, new parts will be built... aren't school buildings often
patchworks: kludges, even?

So, let me ask a couple of questions back: your project is a design
project, are you envisioning some kind of ideal architecture for the
education of the future (starting from scratch, utopia of the late 90s,
which might be interesting) or are you envisioning a re-design project
(adapting something existing for the needs of today and tomorrow, which
sounds to me both more interesting and more difficult)?

Eva

nununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununu
Dr Eva Ekeblad
Goteborg University
Dept. of Education & Educational Research
Box 1010 S-431 26 Molndal, SWEDEN
eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se
http://cite.ped.gu.se/Eklanda/texter/eva.html#English
-moved my homepage to a safer place...
Tel: (Int +46 31) 773 22 75 Fax: (Int +46 31) 773 23 91
nununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununununu?