Re: Marginals of the list

Carol Berkenkotter (cberken who-is-at mtu.edu)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:01:03 -0400

Tony,
I very much liked your observations earlier, observations that someone new
to the list is in a good position to make

The shared background knowledge and list-memory you refer to that seems to
be a marker of insider status often takee the form of intertextual
references-- to other member's posts, to relevant literatures, books,
articles, etc.

It's occurred to me more than once when I saw a post that was laden with
intertextual features that this genre convention is a form of procedural
display.

Carol