why xmca works

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:07:41 -0700

Mike - I might have been mis-read regarding grads' participation;
It is precisely what you say which is, I think, precisely what is so
exciting/interesting/educative
about xmca-list.

As to why grad-lists flounder, I don't know. As I said, in my experience
there is an unwillingness to engage with theory&praxis to the
extent that it takes place here... for me, quite frankly, this
list is heaven-sent. :-)
diane

At 8:51 PM 10/14/97, Mike Cole wrote:
>Diane-- I am sure that Eva and Francoise can answer on the basis of the
>record, but xgrad was instituted as a response to what was perceived as
>a fearfulness to enter the discussion-- to provide a space where they
>could discuss matters among themselves. It simply withered. I don't know
>why because I was excluded from reading the mail.
>
>I hope people on xmca more or less understand that members are indiffeent
>to others rank in the institutions of academia. By more or less understand
>I mean to indicate that this is the norm, not that the norm is the reality.
>It is an ideal.
>
>Part of what I like a lot about the recent flood of mail is that I couldn't
>keep track of who was saying what and had no idea if the person were a
>graduates student, young professor, or whatever. Its the quality of the
>ideas, what someone today referred to as the brining togther of different
>threads of discourse, that provide some of the greatest exitement.
>
>I am offline for a couple of days. Catch you when I can.
>mike

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right"
(Ani Difranco)

diane celia hodges
faculty of graduate studies
centre for the study of curriculum and instruction
university of british columbia,
vancouver, british columbia, canada V6T 1Z4

(604) 253-4807
dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca