moral order & prounouns! (from Eugene)

Susan Leigh Star (s-star1 who-is-at uiuc.edu)
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:19:13 -0600

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 19:29:45 -0400
To: star
From: Eugene Matusov <ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Subject: Re: a couple of thoughts
Dear Susan--

You are absolutely right. It was my intention to bring both moral,
ethical, private, personal and emotional overtones in the discussion on
diversity without becoming too serious.

Thanks for pointing at gender of the God-person. I never thought about
that, probably, because maleness of the God is taken from granted from
Judaism and Christianity and also because in Russian nouns have gender (I
think, it makes the gender issue less visible). There are some funny
wordings possible in Russian. It is possible to say, for example (and some
people say that way), "Susan is a scientist. He is very famous" (the word
"scientist" has male gender in Russian and pronoun "he" refers to the word
"scientist").

Take care,

Eugene