Re: Vygotsky, conflict, dialectic, growth

stephanie spina (sspina who-is-at email.gc.cuny.edu)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:29:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, George McKinlay wrote:

snip>=20
>=20
> I wonder how much of the focus on the ZPD is a product of the cultural
> environment in which Vygotsky's work was re-discovered; the Cold War
> and the "market economies" of the West which is always happy to co-opt
> ideas and concepts as long as it improves the bottom line (students as
> widgets...)=20
> snip

A few people have written on this - Joe Glick (I think in his intro to the
4th volume of Vygotsky's Collected Works) does a good job of summarizing
Vygotsky's positioning as an alternative to Piaget. =20
But I am curious how you connect the adoption of a Russian's work during
the Cold War (and McCarthyism)?

snip
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Agree, I don't think a "coaching environment" is always appropriate,
> indeed that is one of the reasons why I'd dismiss much of the Home
> schooling rhetoric because they ignore the importance of the social
> environment in schools.
>=20
=09Are you equating dyads with "coaching environments"? I don't
understand. Also - home schoolers do build in socialization with other
home schoolers and in some home schooling, I understand that the
"teachers" will often divide the curriculum to correspond with what they
are better able to teach and a group of home schoolers then go together to
each other's homes for specialized instruction. It isn't a topic I know
alot about, but there has to be some empirical work out there and not just
rhetoric.=20

>=20
> >The SIM model sounds more promising. I am not familiar with it and
> would
>=20
> >like to know more. Do you have any sources or diagrams available on
> the
>=20
> >web or in print?
>=20
>=20
> Not yet. Yes the dialectical character does seem to have been "removed"
> from western versions or readings of Vygotsky's work. There was an
> excellent article by an English researcher on "Reading Vygotsky" that
> basically points out the Cold War affected understanding of Vygotsky, I
> don't have the reference on me and I'm trying to track down my copy of
> the book, I'll send it along as soon as I get it.
>=20
Thanks.