Re: Worries (Re: Diversity Issues...)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Batista?= (jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:52:46 -0300

Eva you ask-me

> Jo=E3o: what forms are your discussions with the school people in? Do y=
ou
> have projects with them? Or do they come for inservice training? Or do
you represent national//regional authorities in some way?

I am teacher at Universidade Estadual de Londrina in the Dep. Social
Psychology. I work in the area Scholar Psychology. Our area attend
solicitations of schools: the greater number of these solicitations are t=
make children diagnostic with difficulties of learning... I prefer to wor=
with institutional analysis, whit groups dinamic, participante observatio=
involving the segments of the school: teachers, administration, parents,
pupils, etc...

When my work is solicited I discuss with the administration a project of
intervention and generaly I start this project with inservice training. =
We
(I and my students) realize observations about the intra-school relations
which are discuss with the collective of teachers or/and administration. =
At
times I introduce some theoric texts about themes which the teachers
selecte.

Jo=E3o Martins=09

JO=C3O BATISTA MARTINS
RUA ANISIO FIGUEIREDO, 476
LONDRINA - PARAN=C1 - BRASIL
CEP 86065-630

TEL: 043 3385208

E-MAIL jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br

----------
> From: Eva Ekeblad <eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se>
> To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
> Subject: Re: Worries (Re: Diversity Issues...)
> Date: Ter=E7a-feira, 7 de Outubro de 1997 06:01
>=20
> At 18.01 -0300 97-10-05, Jo=E3o Batista Martins wrote:
> >My work is to establish news forms of solutions to these
> >problems. We try to re-discuss whit teachers and scholar administratio=
the
> >rol of school in the social democratization process, the curriculum,
> >students behaviors, familiar x school relations, etc... and to give
news
> >"understanding", news senses to the scholar experiencies of teachers a=
nd
of
> >pupils.
>=20
> I would like very much to hear more about your struggles: the more I
> understand CHAT theories the more convinced I am about the importance o=
> particulars. The abstract level of describing an activity system like t=
he
> educational system is useful in the moments when our R&D is about
> connecting our specifics to larger-scale phenomena in time&space: the
> history of our local system and its "position" among other educational
> systems over the world. But then in exchanges like on the xmca I think =
it
> is very important to understand that "teachers" and "scholar
> administrations" are not the same things in all our local conditions.
>=20
> So I ask, please, for more "true stories". And those of you who have
> already started telling something: PLEASE continue. To "celebrate" I wi=
ll
> offer something of my own:
>=20
> For my first 11 years in Academia (I'm on my 12th now...) I have been
> connected with research on how to use computers in education. At the
> assistant stage I worked for a long time at how to "use the computer as=
> tool for conceptual change" -- mostly in the area of early number
concepts.
> As my heart was in communication of other kinds than the I-R-F sequence
> with the computer asking questions of the kids, I was not very happy
during
> those years... Also, those were the days when VERY few Swedish classroo=
ms
> in the grades 1-6 had computers -- this was due to central decisions on
> curricula and funding. And as for networked computers, well... forget i=
t,
> mostly. Oh, there were enthusiasts here and there. Doing in the 80s wit=
> simple means what is now in the Internet something that has the potenti=
al
> to attract A LOT of funding if you know the right people or have the
right
> rhetoric in your application. Sweden, as you may know, is a country of
many
> privileges when viewed globally. At the same time our famous welfare
system
> is eroding. In schools it shows for example by diminishing resources fo=
> "home language" teaching. At the same time the privilege of having a ho=
me
> computer spreads in wider layers of the population (thus increasing a
> difference between have:s and have-not:s). Computers and the Internet a=
re
> viewed (in rhetoric and rich but patchy funding) as not just
comme-il-faut
> in primary classrooms, but rapidly becoming a MUST. One of the argument=
is