Re: conflict in the ZPD

stephanie spina (sspina who-is-at email.gc.cuny.edu)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 07:14:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Ania Lian wrote:

> I think that the issue of scaffolding and questions relating to this
> action as facilitating an act of revealing of whatever, reflect either:
>
> (a) a correct interpretation of Vygotsky and thus acceptance of the role
> of the senior as an expert and aceptance of the totalisating definition of
> an expert i.e. someone who knows the path (talking about push/pull)....
>
> (b) when moving from Vygotsky directly and toward the notion of struggle
> as a way of making sense out of the world, then a scaffolded pedagogic
> interaction ain't anything other than a struggle of the *novice* against
> the *expert* and then this has VERY little to do with the world outside
> classroom, unless, of course, only as far as one learns for future
> purposes i.e. that there is always an expert because the institution said
> so.
>
> ania lian

Ania -
I do not use conflict to mean an interpersonal struggle or even
oppositionality. I use it more in
the sense of an integration of contradictions, which is not always
"cognitive" or even conscious, necessarily.
Stephanie

Stephanie Urso Spina
City University of New York
sspina who-is-at email.gc.cuny.edu