Macrodemes for coffee

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:32:25 +0200

At 23.38 -0700 97-09-28, Douglas Williams wrote:
>I suspect there are many more people here than were in your building's
>socio-culturally fractured coffee-room.

Depends on how you count. Current staff-faculty roster at our department
sums up to 154 (including us in the distant annexe, but not
faculty-staff-students of the teacher educations, occupying the bulk of the
building). Then there are some 40 doctoral students frequenting the coffee
room more or less regularly. Naturally there would be some of the 154 who
NEVER sit down in the room.

The xmca masterlist from May includes 255 persons. 82 of them actually
posted something during May 97. So both the walled and the virtual coffe
place is in roughly the scale of Caporael's
(http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?6.01) macrodemes -- 300
heads plus-minus a third. Modal task: seasonal gathering, exchange of
individuals, resources and information.

Interesting....
Eva