Re: Ideologies

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:42:44 -0400

Hi Tomasz--

Welcome to the XMCA! I'm originally from Russia and it seems I have
somewhat similar interests.

I'm also very interested in the role "ideology"in human actions. A friend
of mine in Russia is currently employed by an agency that wants him to
develop an "ideology" for people in Russia who are planned by the
government to force for early retirement. He and I are discussing this
issue through e-mail. So far we distinguish what we call "ideology of
faith" and "mobilizing ideology." The former refers to the person's core
beliefs and is considered by us as "untouchable." We do not want to
manipulate with people. The latter is a tool for dealing with risky and
uncertain situations. Let me give an example.

Imagine a deep abyss that can be crossed via a very narrow bridge without
support. If a person has to cross this bridge, it is often a very
difficult psychological problem. If the same bridge were over grass lawn
(0 altitude), successful crossing it would not be any problem (without any
stepping out of the bridge). From the physics point of view, there is no
difference between these abyss and grass situations. However, from
psychological point of view the difference is crucial because the price for
mistake is life and death for the abyss condition. Plus, according to
Gibson, environment guides ("afford") human actions. The narrow bridge
without support over a deep abyss guides a person to "freeze"while the same
bridge over grass with zero altitude guides to go.

Here, the notion of mobilizing ideology is very helpful. Experienced
people can tell the person hesitating to cross the bridge, "Don't look
down! Forget about the abyss! Look forward!" This can be a very useful
mobilizing ideology. Mobilizing ideology is not faith or illusion. Person
should not really believe that there is not the real abyss. Otherwise,
such illusion and "test' of the reality can be tragic. On the other way,
mobilizing ideology attempts to reorganize the perception of the reality to
put the troubling existence of abyss on the periphery of person's
perception and action. Thus, mobilizing ideology manages rather than
minimizes the risk (and uncertainty).

What do you think/ I'd like to know your thoughts about how "ideology"
contributes to human actions.

Take care,

Eugene Matusov

At 01:59 AM 9/29/97 +-100, you wrote:
>I'd like to have an access to your list.
>I'm psychologist and I'm working at the University of A.Mickiewicz in
Poznan - Poland. I'm studying Vygotsky's theory for few years. I have
translated from Russian language and published few (3) Vygotsky's articles.
Now I'm preparing my PhD and I'm trying to use Vygotsky's theory to
resolve problem about wich I'm working. To say in few words - I'm tryig to
understand role of "ideology" or "ideological concepts" in development of
human action.

>Looking forward,
>Tomasz Czub

Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266