Re: importance of architecture, the case of Seven Eleven Japan

Naoki Ueno (nueno who-is-at nier.go.jp)
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 00:17:39 +0900

At 3:16 PM 9/27/97 +0200, Eva Ekeblad wrote:
>Do you have a paper on the Seven Eleven Japan, or did you just share your
>observations with the xmca, in try adherence to the maxim that says that
>half-baked ideas are welcome here? In either case it was very interesting,
>and I think it is very valuable to have the contributions from you people
>who have been around Activity Theory much longer than I have.

Dear Eva,

Thank you so much for your response.

Actually, what I wrote about Seven Eleven is only half-baked ideas.

The information of POS system came from Japanese books for business
people. POS system is very famous in the domain of business in Japan
and many books about Seven Eleven, Japan are published for business persons.

I started the field survey in regrigerated warehouse for frozen seafood
with my colleague a couple of years ago.
For that survey, we reviewed the relevant books including POS system.

Similar analysis to Seven Eleven case is possible for various inscriptions
including computer used in regrigerated warehouse.
So, actual our paper based on a similar perspective to that in e-mail
will be written about the case of regrigerated warehouse soon, I hope so.

One English paper and one Japanese paper were already written about
this warehouse field survey focussing on the "coordination center"
in warehouse and documents use here.
Mike and Yrjo have one English paper about warehouse written by my colleague.

Naoki Ueno
NIER, Tokyo