Re: importance of architecture

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:57:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Deborah A. Jimenez wrote:

> we can not continue to ignore such an absence of architecture in education...
> how many of you had studied it beyond this building is blank and built by
> blank???

Deborah, I have for the last near thirty years marveled at how
dreadful buildings for education have been as expressed in the modern
vernacular. It's often difficult to tell a public school from a public
jail. Or a factory.

I have worked in classrooms with no windows.

I have been discouraged by how the structure is similar to an egg
crate - with limits collaboration between classrooms and adults.

I could go on. But, I have thought about the architecture a lot,
and hated what I had to work in. The buildings have all been built with
the 'bottom line' as the final consideration.

Phillip

Phillip White
Cotton Creek Elementary
Westminster, CO