Re: The survival of settings

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:03:54 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu,External writes:
>I haven't heard much discussion yet on physical spaces themselves. Why
>do spaces, and their divisions and distributions, often get written out
>of
>accounts of activity? In classroom studies in particular it often
>seems that spaces are assumed to be common across
>settings, and if mentioned, are generally noted as a supporting cast
>for
>talk and other aspects of activity.

I ran across a person who studied the physical setting of a classroom
during my MA program at the University of New Mexico. I think her name
was Catherine Laughlin (or McLaughlin) and she wrote a book called _The
Learning Environment_. This was the late 1980s, so my memory is not
very sharp on the details. The idea of looking at the physical
arrangement of the classroom was so novel to me then, that I remember
her and her book, but not much else.

I think about her from time to time because I have not read much in
this area besides her book. I actually met her in one of my classes, I
think she was a professor there.

Kathie

\\\\\\\\\\\\\You live you learn
\\\\\\\\\\\You love you learn
\\\\\\\\\You cry you learn
\\\\\\\You lose you learn
\\\\\You bleed you learn
\\\You scream you learn////////alanis morissette:jagged little pill

Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~kegoff/index.html