Re: realis and irrealis

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 21:00:51 +0200

At 20.48 -0400 97-09-04, Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>And I am wondering, Eva, how, in the service of teaching science
>in the schools, one would introduce Scientist & World as different
>scale components of a more global system. SHOULD one? Doesn't
>the notion of "empirical" serve some useful function here?

Yes, I think Bill's quandary belongs mostly to the philosophy of science,
which was where I felt the urge to soothe some worries. I have no problem
with letting kids in the schools study science in a way that makes them
trust the World to be there while they sleep at night.

Then what is taught as a topic, and what is the fundamental worldview
implied in curriculum and teaching is not necessarily the same. I'm not a
curriculum theorist in sience teaching, but I would certaily be much
happier with a curriculum consistently founded on an ecological paradigm
(of responsibility towards the World rather than mastery of it) than with
the techno-romantic white-coat science that was the ideal of text-book
writers in my own school days.

Eva