Re: kinds of learning- FORWARDED (Ana, delete!)

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:50:09 -0400

I noticed that Ana's original message had been sent to xmca;
I'm forwarding my response to it.

Ana, If you read this, I haven't yet located the reference.

Judy

> [...]
>
>Anyway, no, I don't think that abducting the past destroys it -
>although reconstruing the meaning of some event does, I presume,
>change relations between then & now - does change the quality
>of the present.
>
>Judy
>

>At 01:02 AM 9/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Judy,
>>
>>You intrigued me when you called this phenomenon(s) - ABDUCTION
>>("stealing").
>>
>>> One "mechanism" wasn't mentioned but might account for the
>>> kind of systems-mixing interactions that were fruitfully discussed:
>>>
>>> ABDUCTION ("stealing" of one thing for another use/object/activity
>>> - like play?) - effected by way of artifacts of culture. Examples of
>>> abduction would by renarrativising the past (stealing the past for the
>>>
>>> present), using a broom in play as a flying machine;
>>> Another example without identifiable agents comes to mind:
>>> grammatical metaphor in language -- one semiotic function "steals"
>>> from another. Abduction complicates the framing of what's
>>> co-regulated because it transgresses functional systems & system
>>> levels.
>>
>>I agree that metaphors and metaphoric behavior "transgress" functional
>>systems & system levels. (I am just reading Jays's paper which he
>>previously sent on line...) but I am still intrigued why do you call it
>>"abduction" or "stealing" (which in itself is a metaphor!). What does it
>>imply? Many have seen a paradox in the phenomenon of metaphor
>>(metaphoric behavior) - calling a thing something which it is not. Many
>>others have seen a kind of comparison by similarity - implying a
>>similarity between something and something else. The "comparison by
>>similarity" in fact may be linked to imitation - doing the same or
>>similar as somebody else, trying to be somebody else.Abduction
>>(stealing) implies somehow a negation, an annulment, of something. In
>>that context, when you say: "renarrativising the past (stealing the past
>>for the present)" - does it mean that we are destroying the past for the
>>sake of the present. I am just curious to know more about how you meant
>>to conceptualize "abduction".
>>
>>Ana
>>--
>>
>> Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
>>
>>151 W. Tulpehocken St. City of Philadelphia
>>Philadelphia, PA 19144 OMH/MR - Research & Information
>>(215) 843-2909 [voice] 1101 Market St. 7th Floor
>>(215) 843-2288 [fax] Philadelphia, PA 19107
>> (215) 685-4767 [v]; (215) 685-5581 [fax]
>>pshane who-is-at andromeda.rutgers.edu
>>anchi who-is-at geocities.com
>>
>>http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>The 7th International Kurt Lewin Conference on the Web
>>http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/confprg1.html
>>SAFT Newsletter on the web
>>http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/snl.html
>>

>><HTML>
>><BODY TEXT="#000000" BGCOLOR="#FFFFCC" LINK="#0000EE" VLINK="#551A8B"
ALINK="#FF0000">
>>Judy,
>>
>><P>You intrigued me when you called this phenomenon(s) - ABDUCTION
("stealing").
>><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>One "mechanism" wasn't mentioned but might account
>>for the
>><BR>kind of systems-mixing interactions that were fruitfully discussed:
>>
>><P>ABDUCTION ("stealing" of one thing for another use/object/activity
>><BR>&nbsp;- like play?) - effected by way of artifacts of culture. Examples
>>of
>><BR>abduction would by renarrativising the past (stealing the past for
>>the
>><BR>present), using a broom in play as a flying machine;
>><BR>Another example without identifiable agents comes to mind:
>><BR>grammatical metaphor in language -- one semiotic function "steals"
>><BR>from another. Abduction complicates the framing of what's
>><BR>co-regulated because it transgresses functional systems &amp; system
>>levels.</BLOCKQUOTE>
>>I agree that metaphors and metaphoric behavior "transgress" functional
>>systems &amp; system levels. (I am just reading Jays's paper which he
previously
>>sent on line...) but I am still intrigued why do you call it
"<B>abduction</B>"
>>or "stealing" (which in itself is a metaphor!). What does it imply? Many
>>have seen a <B><I>paradox </I></B>in the phenomenon of metaphor (metaphoric
>>behavior) - calling a thing something which it is not. Many others have
>>seen a kind of <B><I>comparison by similarity </I></B>- implying a similarity
>>between something and something else<B><I>. </I></B>The "comparison by
>>similarity" in fact may be linked to imitation - doing the same or similar
>>as somebody else, trying to be somebody else.Abduction (stealing) implies
>>somehow a negation, an annulment, of something. In that context, when you
>>say: "renarrativising the past (stealing the past for the present)" - does
>>it mean that we are destroying the past for the sake of the present. I
>>am just curious to know more about how you meant to conceptualize "abduction".
>>
>><P>Ana
>><BR>--
>><BR>________________________________________________________________________
>><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
>>
>><P><TT>151 W. Tulpehocken St.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; City of
Philadelphia</TT>
>><BR><TT>Philadelphia, PA 19144&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; OMH/MR - Research
>>&amp; Information</TT>
>><BR><TT>(215) 843-2909 [voice]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1101 Market St.
>>7th Floor</TT>
>><BR><TT>(215) 843-2288 [fax]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Philadelphia,
>>PA 19107</TT>
>><BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;
>>(215) 685-4767 [v];&nbsp; (215) 685-5581 [fax]</TT>
>><BR>________________________________________________________________________
>><ADDRESS>
>><A
HREF="mailto:pshane@andromeda.rutgers.edu">pshane@andromeda.rutgers.edu</A><
/ADDRESS>

HREF="http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/">http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/</A>
>><BR>-----------------------------------------------------------
>><BR>The 7th International Kurt Lewin Conference on the Web
>><BR><A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/confprg1.html">http://www.geocities.co
m/~anchi/confprg1.html</A>
>><BR>SAFT Newsletter on the web
>><BR><A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/~anchi/snl.html">http://www.geocities.com/~an
chi/snl.html</A>
>><BR>&nbsp;
>></BODY>
>></HTML>

Judith Diamondstone
* NOTE CHANGE OF AREA CODE * (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
MAILING ADDRESS:
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08903