Re: Computers in schools

Bill Barowy (Bill_Barowy who-is-at TERC.EDU)
27 Aug 1997 10:06:56 U

Reply to: RE>>Computers in schools

MIke,

I will be teaching a course out of lesley college on microworlds soon.
"Microworlds Logo' is one of the pieces of software that is presently being
revisited to determine the appropriateness for the aims of the course. I
suspect that what is learned can inform this discussion, but this is work in
progress.

Also there is somehting to say about the design of the software - how its
constraints and affordances align with instructions objectives - logo, while
useful for a lot of things, is not applicable to many others. There is a lot
more to say about this, but a paper by Paul Horwitz and I touching on the
matter is in the mail and I have to get back to a proposal.

Bill Barowy

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/27/97 2:32 AM
To: Bill Barowy
From: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Katherine--

Your disappointment with upgrades/expense and pedagogical
payoff are now a recurring theme in the discussion. My impression
is that in some cases, at least, LOGO affords reorganization of
classroom cultures in productive ways. The necessary and sufficient
conditions for such re-mediation are not known to me. But two
conditions seem to be knowledgable teachers and good equipment.