Re: Computers in schools

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:13:16 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu,External writes:
>No one has mentioned Papert's work. Does it fail to influence?
>mike

Until we upgraded to PowerMacs, I taught LOGO to my students and loved
doing it. I was hooked on his metacognitive approach and learned a lot
myself when I wrote LOGO programming. But our school could not afford
to upgrade the software after we upgraded the hardware and MicroWorlds
duplicates much of HyperStudio for which we have a site lisence, . . .
and so it goes.

I am personally disappointed at the expense (and expensive marketing)
of LCSI and Lego Dacta. My impression is that private schools or
well-funded "gifted" programs have the most access to Papert's
curriculum (I use the term loosley, I don't think he would refer to it
as a curriculum.)

If they can't get it, it can't influence them.

Kathie

\\\\\\\\\\\\\You live you learn
\\\\\\\\\\\You love you learn
\\\\\\\\\You cry you learn
\\\\\\\You lose you learn
\\\\\You bleed you learn
\\\You scream you learn////////alanis morissette:jagged little pill

Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~kegoff/index.html