Re: intelligence and culture

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:09:31 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu,External writes:
>Katherine-
> I am currently re-re-reading Bruner's book for a chapter we are
>writing here on "classroom cultures" and have reviewed it along with
>Janet Schofield's book on "computers and classsroom cultures" in Tim
>kochman's journal. I find his list of "key elements of a cultural
>psychology" a very useful and thought provoking list, but sitting at the
>screen at the moment, I cannot recall any discussion of intelligence.
>The whole book is perhaps relevant, but what particular connection to
>intelligences vis a vis culture did you carry away?

Mike,
I resist the common definition of intelligence as a measureable object,
so I was rather footloose in my suggestion. I was thinking of Bruner's
4 models of mind which I have in my notes as:

1. Learning as imitation, teaching as modeling
2. Learning as acquisition, teaching as transmission of knowledge
3. Learning as construction of knowledge, teaching as collaboration
4. Learning as discourse and interpretation, teaching as mediation
between culture and student. {This is a model that Bruner proposes, it
is not widely recognized.}

So maybe I was unconsciously trying to subvert the use of the word,
intelligence.

Kathie

\\\\\\\\\\\\\You live you learn
\\\\\\\\\\\You love you learn
\\\\\\\\\You cry you learn
\\\\\\\You lose you learn
\\\\\You bleed you learn
\\\You scream you learn////////alanis morissette:jagged little pill

Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~kegoff/index.html