Re: intelligence and culture

Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky who-is-at ou.edu)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 06:47:39

One book might be Perspectives on Literacy, edited by Eugene Kintgen, Barry
Kroll, and Mike Rose (Southern Illinois U. Press, 1988). The book was
designed as the text for college courses taught by the editors, and tries
to provide a breadth of views on the topic through the presentation of
reprints of classic papers from Heath, Scribner, Erickson, Ogbu, many
others. The focus in more on literacy than intelligence, though
intelligence is often defined through literate performance.