Re: RRP

Bill Barowy (Bill_Barowy who-is-at terc.edu)
23 Jul 1997 11:51:56 U

Reply to: RE>>RRP

Folks,

I have been trying to unpack the discussion on positive critical theory and
there are several questions that come to mind. First, Jim seems to relate
to negative critical theory two things 1) Negative theory as a description of
power distribution 2) Social acceptance of a negative critical theory.

The latter seems analogous to the methodology of physical science, as
described by Popper, in which experiment is used to 'disprove' theory.
Lakatos describes similar processes of mathematical research programmes in
which counterexamples provide a key role in the rejection and hence
reformulation of hypotheses. The point being that the imaginative creation
of hypotheses and theories are not truth, but an attempt at making sense of
nature - alternative hypotheses and theories can always be generated that
describe the same 'data' as history has indicated, such as the bohr or
heisenberg models of the atom or relatedly the description of the electron as
either a particle or wave. The latter still defies a singular description
that accurately predicts the behavior of the electron. So the best we can do
is not to find the truth, but reject alternatives. Is physical science a
negative critical theory?

What sense I make of Chucks posting is a somewhat separate issue of how
people collaborate around a research enterprise, although the two seemed
linked through participants ideology of what it is they should be doing.
Suspicion or caution of others, say for example that I think Mike has a
hidden agenda in the formulation of CP (which I don't), certainly plays a
role, in my example I must try to separate Mike's agenda from my belief that
CP can provide a viable theoretical framework for my own research (which I
do). Granted, there may well be hidden agenda that I may and should be
suspicious of, but nevertheless, my belief, having been raised in the
physical science tradition, is that it necessary for ideation to be
delineated from motive and held up in comparison to observation for us to
move forward as an intellectual enterprise. Applying activity theory in a
self-descriptive way, which somehow seems dangerous, we do delineate artifact
and motive, the latter being extremely complex in the confluence of
individual goals and desires to collective behavior.

Feyerabend acknowledged for enlightening us about the complexity of (physical
) science as a cultural-historical phenomenon, the work can be better defined
than 'anything goes.' His chip is the popular dissemination of science
ideology as the way it really is. This is a valid point. Yet what he
ignores is that these very beliefs of physical scientists form a significant
force in their coherence. The beliefs enable individuals to transcend
political or personal motivations and ambitions to collaborate toward a
common goal. Witness research papers on particle physics with 50ish authors.
Who is first author? Who is last author? Does the 30th author have more
prestige than the 32nd?

Chuck points to the important need for incentives for collegues to
collaborate - a useful tool is the prisoner dilemma. What is the matrix of
ecological pressures on an individual/group/institution that influence the
decisions to collaborate or not? In academia tenure includes criteria for
primary or sole authorship. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Many
of the incentives lead us away from collaboration. Providing intellectual
space and resources, and the much harder cultural task of establishing
beliefs, as Chuck indicates, seems necessary to balance the matrix towards
collaboration.

The bottom line is that I do not understand the how positive critical theory
fits or doesn't fit with notions of collaborative research. Quite possibly
here, I think since the target phenomena is ch, the theory becomes self
descriptive and it is no longer possible to distinguish ideation from the
methodology applied to achieve it. Or is it? Please inform this
sociologically impaired person.

Bill