Re: Angel's rough draft -

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:35:11 -0400

I just saw Katherine's response to Phil's response to Angel's paper,
and dropped what I was doing to say, THANK YOU so much for keeping
"status abdication" on the table in the discussion of social justice.
It's a tough issue. As I survey my own material privileges and needs,
I am not happy with the prospect of giving up any of the few but definite
privileges that were conferred on me by my institution, which may be
restructuring its means of supporting faculty, at least within my
department. I will now have to scramble, like all the other new
professors, for the slush money that I could take for granted last year.
It's so easy to rationalize the importance of whatever needs the _extra_
was allocated to, as if the needs identified by others counted for less....
Yeah.

I can also see this issue as relevant to another discussion, about
the difficulties for those interested in writing pedagogy of
collaborating across the disciplinary constraints of English
departments and schools of education, but that is for another
time...

The politics here is not reducible to patriarchy, but I think
Katherine's reference to "the darkside of male privilege" is
potentially instructive. I would be interested in understanding
better the reference to the "doublebinds of masculinity and
feminity"

>as both
>empowering and disempowering at different moments in time, with inflections
>of race and class mediating them....and then discussion becomes too scary,
>and the topic is dropped.

Can you say more?

She also wrote:

Lots of
>people stand to lose lots of forms of privelege--many basic assumptions about
>what one might expect to have locked down by the time they were 30 or 40,
>a job, a reasonable grip on debt, health insurance, an income, etc. Are in
grave
>doubt, though. I just wonder then, how to talk about what counts as status
>and privelege, (if people are not even sure they have it), and how to aks
>ask people to take seriously the idea that the worse things get, the more
>we all need each other.

I would agree that "what counts as status and privilege" ought to be
revalued, that that is much of what the struggle is about, and that those
whose pleasure is tied to self-privileging (all of us, no?) have a critical
project cut out for us in our daily lives. But I realize also that pleasures
are hard to give up and we can't live without them. It's very confusing.

- A half-baked message squeezed in where there's no room (time) for it.

Judy

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education
]10 Seminary Place