Re: computers, culture, and distributed cognition

Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky who-is-at ou.edu)
Sat, 7 Sep 96 09:18:20 -0500

>Roy Pea's done stuff in this area though I don't have cites handy--I think
he refers to it in Salomon's Distributed Cognitions ( a good source for
references in any case--I think David Perkins also discusses computers in
his contribution to this volume).

>Peter
>

>At 08:48 PM 9/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Some students and I are putting together a reading list for a graduate
>>level reading seminar that might be called "computers, culture, and
>>distributed cognition". The idea is to put computers and computer-using
>>activity in some larger intellectual contexts, in a way that appeals
>>to students across several disciplines. What should we read? I would
>>much appreciate suggestions, either articles or books. If you send me
>>the citations directly, I'll package them up to send to the whole list.
>>For example, I'm thinking of Leigh Star, ed, "Cultures of Computing";
>>Bonnie Nardi, ed, "Context and Consciousness"; and Joan Greenbaum and
>>Morten Kyng, eds, "Design at Work". I don't know nearly as much as
>>I'd like, however, about relevant work in education or cultural studies,
>>or semiotics, or the dozen other fields that seem potentially relevant.
>>
>>Thanks very much
>>
>>Phil Agre

NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!
Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
office phone: (405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061