Re: Does anyone know...?

Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky who-is-at ou.edu)
Wed, 28 Aug 96 19:28:04 -0500

If anyone's in contact with Gita Vygodskaya (v's daughter--I think that's
the right spelling) we could probably answer this one...

At 03:04 PM 8/28/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello Ana and everybody--
>
>It seems to me that I read in van der Veer, R., & Valsiner, J. (1991).
>Understanding Vygotsky: A quest for synthesis that
>Vygotsky spoke German. However, he preferred to
>speak through his translator when he met German colleagues probably
>because he was embarrassed of his Russian accent. Besides he probably
>spoke Yiddish which is very similar to German.
>
>Eugene Matusov
>
>At 05:07 PM 8/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>Dear xmca-ers,
>>
>>Does anyone know (and can give appropriate resources) whether
>L.S.Vygotsky
>>spoke (and read and/or wrote) German?
>>A friend of mine, Dr. Robert J. Kleiner is writing a paper on the
>>relationship between Vygotsky and K. Lewin and we know so far that in
>Spring
>>1933 Lewin spent about 2 - 3 weeks in Moscow and stayed at Vygotsky's
>home,
>>where they had lively discussions (accompanied by Luria and others). We
>also
>>know that there are numerous references of German texts supplied to
>>Vygotsky's collected works (but mostly by the editors). So we think that
>he
>>indeed spoke German, but we are not sure.
>>Is there a way to know?
>>
>>Ana
>> Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
>>

>>151 W. Tulpehocken St. Office of Mental Health and
>>Philadelphia, PA 19144 Mental Retardation
>>(215) 843-2909 [voice] 1101 Market St. 7th Floor
>>(215) 843-2288 [fax] Philadelphia, PA 19107
>> (215) 685-4767 [v]
>> (215) 685-5581 [fax]
>>
>>pshane who-is-at andromeda.rutgers.edu
>>anchi who-is-at geocities.com
>>http://www.geocities.com./Athens/2253/index.html
>>-----
>>The 7th International Kurt Lewin Conference on the Web
>>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2253/confprg.html
>>-----

>Eugene Matusov
>Psychology Department
>University of California
>Santa Cruz, CA 95064
>office (408) 459-5180
>fax (415) 233-9263
>e-mail: ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
>http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/ematusov

NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!
Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
office phone: (405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061