Re: Request for refs. on studies of beauty contests

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:21:08 -0400

Hi, Angel -

I'm sure there must be LOTS of feminist analysis of beauty contests,
they are such a flagrant object. I know of one article by
Susan Bordo that may be helpful:

"Reading the slender body" by Susan Bordo IN
Mary Jacobus, Evelyn Fox Keller, Sally Shuttleworth (Eds.)
_Body/Politics: Women and the Discourses of Science_ (published by
Routlege)

-- You might try looking for more by Susan Bordo.

Also, you might look at _Powers of Desire_ edited by Ann Snitow & others.
Sorry I don't have the cite.

- Judy

At 10:57 PM 8/23/96 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi xmca-ers,
>
>(I made this request 2 years ago; and would like to make this request
>again; hope you can help:)
>
>I'm doing a study on beauty contest discourse practices in Hong Kong, and
>would like to look at some (feminist) studies done on similar topics, e.g.,
>images of beauty/ sexuality in the media from feminist and/or sociolinguistic
>perspectives; I've looked at Naomi Wolf's the Beauty Myth;
>could you suggest other key refs. that I should look at in this area?
>
>Thanks very much in advance!
>Angel
>Angel Lin, Ph.D.
>Dept of English
>City University
>Hong Kong
>E-Mail: enangel who-is-at cityu.edu.hk

Judy Diamondstone diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu
Graduate School of Education Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
10 Seminary Place New Brunswick, NJ 08903

Eternity is in love with the productions of time. - W. Blake