Re: Request for refs. on studies of beauty contests

vera p john-steiner (vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu)
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 12:42:51 -0600 (MDT)

Angel,
Although I am in the midst of feminist literature as I am writing a
chapter on gender and collaboration, I cannot think of anything
relevant to your particular topic. Kim Chernin has written a lot on women
and body image, she may be a broader resource.
Vera

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996
ENANGEL who-is-at cityu.edu.hk wrote:

> Hi xmca-ers,
>
> (I made this request 2 years ago; and would like to make this request
> again; hope you can help:)
>
> I'm doing a study on beauty contest discourse practices in Hong Kong, and
> would like to look at some (feminist) studies done on similar topics, e.g.,
> images of beauty/ sexuality in the media from feminist and/or sociolinguistic
> perspectives; I've looked at Naomi Wolf's the Beauty Myth;
> could you suggest other key refs. that I should look at in this area?
>
> Thanks very much in advance!
> Angel
> ---------------------------
> Angel Lin, Ph.D.
> Dept of English
> City University
> Hong Kong
> E-Mail: enangel who-is-at cityu.edu.hk

Vera P. John-Steiner
Department of Linguistics
Humanities Bldg. 526
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
Internet: vygotsky who-is-at triton.unm.edu