Re: Science-talk and clamming up -

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 09:38:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Dale Cyphert wrote:
> My reticent students have spent a whole lifetime of
> NOT speaking up in classes, yet when I give them specific instructions
> regarding class participation, they can often pick up quite a bit in
> just a semester. I wouldn't say they necessarily get "the voice" in all
> its assertive glory, but it does make me think the role of the instructor
> in bringing students into the conversation is crucial.
>
> dale

Dale, I would like very much to know what it is specifically that
you do in the way of instructing students to participate more fully.
Does this mean that there are also instructions to students who are also
doing the bulk of the talking? This reminds me of situations when as a
classroom teacher (elementary) that when I'm teaching students how to
share information in cooperative groups, that I also have to teach - most
often boys - how _not_ to attempt to control a cooperative groups. This
is especially difficult since many boys are taught that to be a
successful male that domination/control is a necessary attribute of
maleness.

Phillip

Phillip White - pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu