[1]RE>Bakhurst/Ilyenkov on

Geoffrey Williams (geoffrey.williams who-is-at english.su.edu.au)
29 Jul 1996 15:46:41 +1000

[1]RE>Bakhurst/Ilyenkov on ideals 29/7/96

Geoff Williams is on study leave overseas. Your message will be forwarded
automatically to his Compuserve address. However, during September he will
not be able to access email.

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/6/96 11:12 AM
To: Geoffrey Williams
From: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Thanks to Michael, Eugene, and Arne for helping me to better
understand "this beautifully complicated category" of the IDEAL.
Arne, I followed your suggestion & substituted "sign" for "ideal"
in the Ilyenkov quote. Yeah, that does clear out some of the fog.

Also thanks to Eugene for this quote:

> "The ideal form is a form
>of a thing, but a form that is outside the thing, and is to be found in man
>as a form of his dynamic life activity, as *goals and needs*. Or
>conversely, it is a form of man's life activity, but outside man, in the
>form of the thing he creates." (Il'enkov, 1977, p. 98)

Beautifully clear.

- Judy

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education