Re: institutions, collaborations

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Sat, 06 Jul 1996 13:55:26 -0700

Hello Kate and everybody---

Kate wrote:
>I am coming
>to the conclusion that the major challenge is to maintain the fluidity
>rather than to institutionalise the new forms.

I agree and I'm wondering, can the fluidity, Kate was talkking about, itself
be institutionalized?

Eugene Matusov

PS Kate, can you provide references for Etienne Wenger (in press), please.

At 03:54 PM 7/5/96 +1000, Kathryn Crawford wrote:
>I have been most struck by the discussion of Jay and Eugene about "open
>communities". In my work at the moment I am struggling to support and
>maintain an open community of multidisciplinary researchers and colleagues
>as a means to make/support change in very established and rigid
>institutional settings. My experience suggests that maybe we have always
>underestimated the extent that most communities are open and blurry about
>the edges and that if respect and practice are made central to membership
>then open communities seem to flourish in a liminal and very fluid and
>ephemoral way within the cracks of the more stable institutional structures
>Etienne Wenger (in press) describes the multiplicity of communities to
>which people can and do belong in his communities of practice. I am coming
>to the conclusion that the major challenge is to maintain the fluidity
>rather than to institutionalise the new forms.
>
>Kate

Eugene Matusov
Psychology Department
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
office (408) 459-5180
fax (415) 493-8917
e-mail: ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/ematusov