knowledge, body, responsivity

Piotr Szybek (Piotr.Szybek who-is-at pedagog.lu.se)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 07:56:37 +0100

Francoise Herrmann wrote on Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:30:33 -0700 (PDT) as
an answer to my mail mailed in the evening the same day (!!!!????*)

> Subject: Tylenol for Piotr

> Hi Piotr, I would suggest Maxine Sheets-Johnstone's book "The
> roots of Thinking" (1990 Temple University Press) for your
> headache about grounding knowledge and experience in the body. She
> is quite readable, and to my knowledge hasn't murdered anyone,
> yet.

Hi Francoise,
(1) thanks for the reference. It'll wait, though. Lund's university
library hasn't got it, I'll have to order it inter-lib.
(2) In fact, the grounding of knowledge in the body (experience
already has been, by Husserl) is my _obsession_, not headache
in the "Bulgakov" sense I mentioned it in my letters.

When I was referring to headaches "in the "Bulgakov" sense"
I meant the situation when _you_ recognize, notice, and respond to
_another persons_ headache.
Something is happening: her/his headache has become yours.
In fact, your letter illustrates this:
* You notice that something is important for me
* You recognize it as a reason for responding
* You respond
This is always grounded in the body: at least because it is
consuming the time the body has left to live. What do you make of it
as a way of grounding activity in the body? And a follow-up_ what of
the notion that all activity is grounded in the body, through
responsivity?

Piotr

Piotr Szybek
University of Lund
Department of Education
PO Box 199, S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN
tel +46462224732, fax +46462224538
E-mail piotr.szybek who-is-at pedagog.lu.se