Re: Learning to make a difference: gender, new technologies

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 00:47:59 -0400

Philip - It's great to hear from you again.

You wrote:
> Bryson and de Castell have failed to note that their very subject
>of study, the public high school, finds itself in relationship to its
>community, highly marginalized. While schools are agents of normalcy
>within the culture, they are also at present staffed by marginalized
>workers (public school teachers) in a presently marginalized
>institution.
> They "want to identify and describe socio-cultural environments
>conducive to the equitable distribution of opportunities for the
>development of competence (pg. 125)", but to do this they will have to
>become part of the community of practice that constitutes the public
>school teachers' working domaine.
>
> Incrementalism. Relationships. Possibilities.

> Any change is going to be highly incremental, and the research
>data must be 'micro' enough in order to pick up the tiny cracks and
>openings for new possibilities.

All of which I appreciate and agree with.

You also noted that the researcher has to be willing to teach with
the teacher. Literally? I myself am not qualified to demonstrate
teaching to an experienced teacher. But I can help someone to follow
their own questions and to look at their own practices. That's how
I see my role insofar as I work directly with teachers. Any comments
or critique you have to offer on that stance would be welcome.

- Judy

Judy Diamondstone diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu
Graduate School of Education Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
10 Seminary Place New Brunswick, NJ 08903

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm. Blake