Re: MCA, Burke's parlor, & Husserl

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 21:27:25 -0700

Hello, Judy, and everybody--
At 11:12 PM 6/26/96 -0400, Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>As an old colleague of mine has said, regarding the "right attitude"
>to take towards joining (quoting Malcolm, I think) "This
>AIN'T a tete a tete. This AIN'T a tea party. THIS is a REVOLUTION."
>I believe he voices the "noisy" way of entering a community that
>Eugene has referred to. (And Eugene knows I don't like that term
>to characterize what is often for the "noisy" person the only
>mode of entry available)

Judy, I called this way of community joining as "noisy, reformist" (both in
quotation marks as labels rather than exact terms). This type is seen by
some people as obnoxious. I called the other way of community joining as
"quiet, peripheral." This type is seen as conformist by some people. I
tried to find more or less neutral description that both parties (i.e.,
people who prefer one way to another) would more or less agree (if this is
possible). It is interesting that nobody protest against the "quiet,
peripheral" label. Is it really good? Do you (or anybody else) have better
terms? I'd appreciate your help (I hope to send my paper to a journal next
month).

Eugene Matusov
UCSC
Eugene Matusov
Psychology Department
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
office (408) 459-5180
fax (415) 493-8917
e-mail: ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/ematusov