Why Husserl only?

Mike Cole (mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 16:31:35 -0700 (PDT)

Eva-- Your response to Piotr reinforced a response that I had in reading
his note, but was unsure of.

Piotr wrote:
>Now watch what happened! There is another thing that has emerged:
> " the one performing the act of 'seeing' ".
>This is, then, an_internal relation_ between
> *the act of 'seeing',
> *the object that is constituted by this act, and
> *the one performing the act of 'seeing'.
>The three constitute one another, mutually.

>(The mutual
>constitution of the subject, object and act of experiencing is described
>(A) in Husserls _Ideen...., Erstes Buch,_ and
>(B) in Eva Ekeblad's thesis "Children*learning*numbers")
-----
And, I thought, in the work of Russian CHAT theorists, summarized
for example, in Lektorsky's "Subject, Object, Cognition" in
Engestrom's work, and elsewhere.
Some time ago, Bud Mehan here at UCSD wrote about the affinities
between the work of Husserl, Shutz and other sociological
phenomenologists. This seems important to me. What are the
implications of coming to this perspective from different
intellectual/national traditions?
Another question: What is the affect of the object of analysis
and relation of theory to practice of using one or another
tradition of ideas?
mike