Re: following Peter

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 14:17:38 -0700

Mike--

I think it is a great idea to do a symposium on these issues. I feel myself
as an ideological (rather than political) representative of Soviet dissident
movement (or, at least, of one wing of it).

Eugene Matusov
Below are quotes from very popular dissident brochure. The brochure mainly
addressed the issue of how to relate to KGB officer in order for he could
not break you.

"If one of you [KGB "investigator" and "witness" -- the reader] is afraid
the truth, let this person be him [i.e., KGB officer] but not you. In your
answers, there has to be only the truth. There has to the truth, which is
morally acceptable. Actually, there does not exist any other truth." (p.12)

"... [the idea of] rejection of giving a testimony [to KGB "investigator]
has many enthusiastic adepts [among dissidents in the USSR], "Why to speak
with these bastards!" However, the same thing can be said by the KGB
investigator to his colleague about you. ... No, blind rejection from giving
a testimony seems to be, in some deep sense, amoral." (p.48)

"Defending your own right, even such small right as the right to buy a
ticket to fly to any country you wish, has to be limited by moral framework
of the acceptable. The framework must not be violated either by a desire
for fast victory or by cruelty or treachery of your opponent..." (p.53)

"In order to preserve its security, any society has to tolerate those who
shamelessly eavesdrops and spies for the society's benefits. However, if
the society loses completely its shame, it can become dangerous for itself.
Perhaps it is why one person can win even the entire state if s/he possesses
special weapon which state often can't (yet or already) afford to possess.
This weapon is not knowledge or power but only moral and culture." (p.54)

Vladimir Al'brekht (1981). Kak but' svidetelem [How to be a witness],
Paris: "A-Ya". (The book is available in Russian in University of California
library system)

Translation from Russian is mine.

At 06:57 AM 6/23/96 -0700, Mike Cole wrote:

>To all of those actively intersted in the discussion on Racism, moral
>issue from a CHAT perspective (which I have been saving in the vain hope
>of getting my mind around):
>
>Is it possible that some sort of symposium on this topic could be
>created for MCA? Arne-- would a review article of German work be
>arrangeable? Perhaps we could find seek funds for translating if
>contributors do not know English. Anna-- Is there work we could draw
>upon from the former Yugoslavia? Eugene-- from Russia?
>
>Might a reprint of one of Kurt Lewin's work on the conditions necessary
>for creation of democratic groups be worth reprinting for a modern
>audience?
>
>Might one or a group of you organize such a special issue?
>mike

Eugene Matusov
Psychology Department
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
office (408) 459-5180
fax (415) 493-8917
e-mail: ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/ematusov