Re: institutions, collaborations

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 12:17:12 -0700

Hello everybody--

Thanks, Jay, for two excellent postings. They are so packed with
interesting ideas. Here I just want to comment on one point, Jay made.
At 05:22 PM 6/20/96 EDT, Jay Lemke wrote:
>So one has to look, in both cases, to a really larger system for
>values ... this is a kind of limit of 'relativism' for a cultural
>approach.

I think scale of communities is important but for me the quality of
relationships that glue them together (even when they are adversarial) is
even more important. For example, in the former Soviet Union, trust for
some people was defined by limitation that a judged person would impose on
his/her actions when he or she becomes an enemy.

Eugene Matusov
UCSC
-------
Eugene Matusov
Psychology Department
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
office (408) 459-5180
fax (415) 493-8917
e-mail: ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/ematusov