Re: east/west (fwd) 1 of 3

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Tue, 28 May 1996 14:45:25 -0700 (PDT)

Peter and I have been having an off-line exchange on this thread which
Peter thought should be shared. It comes in three messages, each which
has a paired exchange.

Chuck Bazerman

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 06:59:30 -0500
From: Peter Smagorinsky <psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu>
To: Charles Bazerman <bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu>
Subject: Re: east/west

Chuck, thanks for your thoughts on this, which I think would provide a good
perspective on this question to xmca. I tried to allude to my own questions
about Mahathir's motives in my post, although somewhat obliquely. I've
never travelled to that part of the world and so only know it through my
reading, the texts of which are themselves agenda-driven. My purpose was
primarily to question the assumption that the middle class whites who make
up the xmca subscribership can really determine what's best for everyone,
which was a thread (picked up by Arne) that I saw coming through the whole
language discussion and discussion of coersion. Mahathir himself may be a
questionable character who's primarily interested in maintaining his own
position of power. This does not mean that his remarks on the fundamental
differences between east and west are invalid. I see them played out in my
classrooms, and wonder what the implications are for the sorts of classrooms
envisioned on xmca.

Peter