Re: east/west (fwd) 2 of 3

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Tue, 28 May 1996 14:46:08 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 11:57:01 -0500
From: Peter Smagorinsky <psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu>
To: Charles Bazerman <bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu>
Subject: Re: east/west

Yes, the Malaysian prime minister undoubtedly has much at stake in asking
not to have his administrative style be judged by others. The speech was
given to a group of business executives who responded with a great ovation,
according to the article. But then order and harmony are management
priorities regardless of cultural background, I suspect.

But it's the effort to think clearly about multiple value systems and
organizations that interests me, regardless of a politician's agenda.

At 07:34 AM 5/28/96 -0700, you wrote:
>My simple point is that it is difficult enough to think clearly about
>multiple value systems and alternative organizations of life and how we
>can usefully comment on each other's lives without getting suckered in by
>people who propose arguments that have nothing to do with those concerns.
>Chuck

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
College of Education
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(w) 405-325-3533