Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 22:05:57 +0200
To: Rolfe Windward <IBALWIN who-is-at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU
From: raeithel who-is-at INFORMATIK.UNI-HAMBURG.DE(Arne Raeithel)
Subject: Re: Schiller's regret (help)

See, Rolfe, I am active for you. I am not a knower of German High Classics.
In fact, I find it somewhat too romantic, high-brow, elitist...

The passage you quote has these three points [...], and I have the suspicion
that the grammatical subject changes in between. If it does, then the
first two lines could say:

Unconscious of the pleasures she is giving us [as a gift]
never been enchanted by her beauty/greatness/glory

and this could be said of the old Greeks, but then this doesn't fit.

Then next lines seem to speak of Newton's disenchanted Nature:

Like the dead beat of the pendulum clock,
she is serving slavishly the law of gravity
nature who has been robbed of Gods.

Looking back at my translations: the first two lines might speak about
the post-Newtonians. But then, it seems, the quote cannot come from a
poem about "The Gods of Greece".

Puzzled: Arne.

p.s. Since it fits with Dewey Dykstra's message
about the *TWO* LAWS OF GRAVITY
you might consider editing this
and let the xmca public see my feeble translator's powers...

-----------------------------------

At 16:02 22.05.1996 -0700, Rolfe Windward wrote:

>Arne, could I ask a favor? I came across this quote from Schiller but am
>uncertain of the source and can not find a translation. I think it refers
>to his regret over the split between humanity and nature but I regret to
>say that my German is inadequate to the task of translation (actually, it
>is only adequate to sing Brahams' lieder now and then). If you can think of
>a translation source, that would be great but I'd like your sense of what
>he is saying too if you don't mind. I'm sending it as a short WFW 6.0 file
>since Eudora does not give me adequate font control.

>Many thanks, Rolfe

"UnbewuBt der Freuden, die sie schenket,
Nie entz_u_ckt von ihrer Herrlichkeit ...

Gleich dem toten Schlag der Pendeluhr,
Dient sie knechtisch dem Gesetz der Schwere,
Die entg_o_tterte Natur."

-Friedrich Schiller (possibly from Die G_o_tter Griechenlands)

Rolfe Windward (UCLA GSE&IS, Curriculum & Teaching)
rwindwar who-is-at ucla.edu (text/BinHex/MIME/Uuencode)
CompuServe: 70014,0646 (text/binary/GIF/JPEG)

"The real is the realization of one of many possibilities."
-Elya Prigogine