Re: Re[2]: phonics politics

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 21 May 1996 08:47:00 -0400

Phil, I went back to Ken's comment, because I couldn't remember him
likening you to a racist. In fact, he likened himself to someone under
racial attacks, it was the effect not the intent of your comment that
he alluded to, which is subtly but significantly different:

"It may be confortable for academic liberals to reassure themselves that
these are only "educationalists" under attack ( why does that term
ring like a racial slur in my ears?)"

-- he likened you to an academic liberal. But enough. People hurt
and when they hurt they cry out. I'm not sufficiently convinced that
a consistently civil tone is either possible or desireable. I'm still
all in favor of listening to affect and staying engaged.

<pagre who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
At 03:11 AM 5/21/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Ken Goodman's latest message likens me to a racist for using the term
>"educationalist". It doesn't sound like it's worth carrying on the
>discussion here.
>
>Phil

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education