Re: Neo-Nazi Internet Alert (fwd)

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Sat, 18 May 1996 10:47:02 +0100

I had this same alert from a friend a few weeks ago and did some checking
before doing anything about the matter (as I am learning from Phil Agre).
It turned out that the voting period ended March 18th!!!

-- still if I do a Web search I can see that it keeps being posted on
newsgroups and discussion lists with no mention of this.

-- if I look at the Usenet (which I am not very skilled at, by any means)
it seems that they did NOT get in. Among the "rec" groups, that is. Among
the "alt" groups ANYTHING goes, there is no voting procedure at all. Facts
of the Net...

Eva

********* what you get if you request the Call For Votes ********************
****************** > To: music-cfv who-is-at sub-rosa.com *****************************

>Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 04:26:10 -0400
>To: eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se
>From: Michael Handler <handler who-is-at sub-rosa.com>
>Subject: [UVV] CFV request rejected; voting period has ended
>
>The voting period for the vote you reference below has ended. No more
>votes are being accepted. Therefore, I will no longer be automatically
>delivering copies of the CFV via email.
>
>I will tabulate the results and submit them to David Lawrence for posting
>to <news.announce.newgroups>. Please read that newsgroup to see the
>results of the vote. If you have any other questions, please contact me at
><handler who-is-at sub-rosa.com>. Thanks.
>
>Michael Handler

An example of a place that DOES mention the deadline:

**** FROM URL: http://www.herspace.com/herspace/other/newsgroup.html ********