Re: culture and coercion

smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Thu, 16 May 96 06:44:11 -0500

At 10:11 PM 5/15/96 -0400, you wrote:

>My claim is that my own cultures are by and large controlling
>too many aspects of behavior (1) to too strict a degree (2)
>and by too coercive/violent/pain-inflicting means (3) compared
>to some other cultures and to what I think would be tolerable
>and healthy, and nice to live in, for a culture otherwise
>moderately like mine in other respects (though that might
>change if coercion is currently maintaining behavior patterns
>and social linkages that otherwise would shift, like say
>power relationships).

Jay, sounds as though you're ready to form the Brooklyn Militia!

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061
smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu