Re: affect

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Fri, 10 May 1996 13:19:34 -0400

Chuck, it sounds kind of individualistic to me. How does he suppose
those "aversative" relations developed? And if out of the social
bond, how does he justify valorizing (by implication: = positive
emotion) pride (the world has been kind to you) and staining shame
(you've suffered injustices). Sounds like a twisted sociology!

- Judy

At 08:50 AM 5/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>The psychiatric, individualistic concern for shame has been given a
>sociological twist by Tom Scheff (Sociology, UCSB) who sees shame and
>pride (as construed through definitions that distinguish "false pride"--a
>form of shame--from actual pride) as the two central emotions and as arising
>from the state of the social bond. In essence he treats positive
>orientations towards others felt as pride, and aversive orientations as
>shame (and consequent emotrions such as anger).
>The quickest orientation to his and related work is in a special issue of
>the American Behavioral Scientist 38:8 August 1995.
>Recent books of his on this theme are MICROSOCIOLOGY and BLOODY REVENGE.

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08903