Re: learning from lectures Re: Stone article

Robin Harwood (HARWOOD who-is-at UConnVM.UConn.Edu)
Tue, 07 May 96 21:44:01 EDT

Judy writes:
>The smaller the number of people gathered in one place to
>address a common topic, the less likely any one of them
>will ignore the others; the more likely everyone will feel
>accountable to each other as well as to what's said. That

This makes sense to me! I think simply the fact that I get to know
students' names and can respond to them in a more personal way means
a lot in seminars; in lectures, with 90 students, I think many of them
feel "lost in a crowd." Also, students often feel safer expressing
thoughts in a small group than in a large lecture hall.

So sorry I haven't had much of a chance to read and respond to
recent threads. I appreciate people's thoughtful comments.

Robin