Re: language as a cognitive parser

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 7 May 1996 15:35:23 -0400

Dale,
I certainly agree that the textual metaphor misrepresents "thought." However,
it doesn't _have_ to follow from a focus on voice and presence in writing
pedagogy that a good speech should be seen as a spoken essay. And certainly,
writing teachers ought not abandon a necessary concern for voice & presence
alongside issues of textuality in their pedagogy for the sake of pedagogies
aimed primarily at other modes of presentation. Are you arguing for a
comprehensive, integrative pedagogy for communicative competencies of all
sorts, or for the abandonment of writing pedagogies altogether? In my view,
the latter would be irresponsible in a culture that still, as you say,
privileges written texts. And the former is an institutional question, not a
problem that can be solved by restricting the range of concerns for the
teaching and learning of writing. But I'm not sure I see your point. Perhaps
you could say more...
- Judy

At 10:30 PM 5/6/96 EDT, you wrote:
>Judy-
>I think I have to disagree that teaching oral communication belongs in the
>writing pedagogy. It's the writing pedagogy that has usurped all communication
>into its purview. The textual metaphor has become so synonymous with "thought"
>or with "rationality" (especially in the academy) that it is VERY difficult to
>focus on voice and presence without running smack into Western notions that a
>"good" speech ought to look like an essay with eye contact. Makes me crazy.
>dale

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place