Re: narrative

Arne Raeithel (raeithel who-is-at informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
Fri, 3 May 1996 20:00:38 +0200

Paul, your nutshell-sized re-presentation of Bruner's category of the
narrative strikes a chord, resonates with I would call a *mimetic=20
figuration*, always having dramatic content (in the sense of the French
psychologist George Politzer, e.g. a birth, an accident, a meeting of
friends, etc.). If "to narrate an event" does not necessarily mean to
mainly *talk* about the event, then the narrative might very well be *the*
fundamental medium of social self-regulation. In a foreign country, all
of us are able to "tell our stories" (from ital. storia =3D history)
in the mimetic/dramatic mode (see the evidence gathered by Merlin Donald
in his "Origins of the Modern Mind" (1991)).

Wittgenstein may have been of the same opinion, as far as one follows
the history that the Hintikkas tell in their "Investigations". As I have
read this book, Ludwig W. seems to have switched from a pure positivistic
"sense data" theory of personal awareness of the world to a sketch of
a theory where "physiognomic signs" are the fundamental "elements" of
the stream of experience (Ernst Mach's elements, i.e. indivisables that
are neither material nor ideal but "neutral").

Narratives in today's genres (everyday talk, street performance, film)
are of course much more complicated. But our memory structures are as
fine-tuned for these complicated gestures, as Mead would have said, as
they are ready to accept any present(ed) grammatical structure...

Does this make sense out there, too ?

Smiling, grateful for the evocation: Arne.

Arne Raeithel
raeithel who-is-at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Universit=E4t Hamburg, Psychologie