learning from lectures Re: Stone article

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Wed, 1 May 1996 13:25:39 +0100

>Dewey writes:
>>strongly. The data is in strong contradiction that college students
>>understand the physics spoken in typical physics lectures. Instead it
>>strongly supports the clear superiority of interactive experiences in
>>physics classes.

and Robin continues

> Thanks for your thoughts here, Dewey! I've always believed that
>my undergrads learn child psychology better when I structure
>interactive experiences into the course. I guess one of the questions
>we were toying with on the list was whether a discussion format
>qualifies as a more engaging interactive experience than a lecture
>format...

Eva reflects: yes, I think most of us tended to agree, but then (as good
researchers) we got very busy looking for counterexamples -- examples
indicating that it may be very hard indeed to tell from immediate behavior
whether an apparently one-sided interaction is not experienced as
engagingly interactive.