the dichotomy

Genevieve Patthey-Chavez (ggpcinla who-is-at ucla.edu)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 23:56:47 -0800

Gordon writes:

>Faced with the inadequacy of such dichotomous rhetoric as a means of
>collectively working our way towards greater understanding, why - I
>wonder - do we all tend to use it so frequently. To a considerable
>degree, the answer seems to be that our language (at least English, and
>probably other languages too) disposes us to do so.

I would qualify it more as a discourse (or 'Geean' Discourse), a specific
tradition of perception/expression that is rooted in history. Even in
English, there are other voices, other ways with words. Academics are not
encoured to use them much.

Genevieve