Re: Commodification

Gordon Wells (gwells who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 11:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Stanton Wortham wrote:
> I would, however, welcome ANY references
> on the commodification of classroom discourse -- even those that use a
> different interpretation of the concept (eg, one derived from Bourdieu or
> Habermas), or those that talk about standardization, or misperception,
> even though they do not use the concept "commodity."

A few weeks ago we were discussing "participation" in class, and the need
many of us feel to have students contribute orally to discussion as
evidence that they are indeed participating. Would this be an example of
commodification of discourse?

Gordon Wells, gwells who-is-at oise.on.ca
OISE, Toronto.