Re: direct instruction/ Applebee's curriculum

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 21:00:36 -0400

Peter wrote:

>Judy, it's an interesting question. I don't quite agree with Applebee that
>learning disciplinary discourse should be a primary goal of schooling. To
>take literature discussions as an example: college English classes tend to
>discuss literature in very formal and analytic ways. I don't think this
>always makes the best model for secondary school discussions of literature,
>where many students are not college bound and therefore don't really need to
>become immersed in English as a discipline. I think there are other models
>of expertise in literature discussions that are appropriate, such as the
>less formal, more affective discourse of adult reading groups--the kinds of
>literary discussions that most readers are likely to engage in when outside
>school.

Peter, I think that many students who are not college bound could be if
they saw some reason, purpose, relevance in doing academic work. And these
are the students I want to learn from, who I think the disciplines need
to learn from. So it is not so easy for me to give up disciplinary discourse
as an object of school curricula. But I do agree that entry points into a
disciplinary practice can and should be designed that presuppose the
relevance of students' lived experience. That's the challenge that
teaching poses, at least for me. I also agree that English-as-a discipline
may not be the best way or even a good way to introduce
students to literature, and I like the approach that my colleague
Michael Smith takes, which you mentioned, which uses adult book clubs
as a model for making literary texts central to the thinking and talking of
students. My interests are focused more on the production side
of knowledge-making practices, on redistributing access to such practices.

>As far as the need for explicit instruction in "how to do school"--probably
>some would be beneficial, though I think it ends up being learned through
>participation.

My guess is that we probably agree in principle. I assume that
however explication is provided, it should be in the context
of participation in the practice that's at stake for the student.
But I am very interested in pressing that "some" -- how much/when/
for whom/etc -

- Judy

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education